Health Care Without Harm is seeking a dynamic and experienced leader to serve as Director and lead the organization’s work in Asia into its next phase of growth. This position will report directly both to the HCWH International Team Coordinator (on program, budget and strategy) and the HCWH Asia board of directors in the Philippines (on legal and fiduciary matters), while working closely with senior staff. The Director will learn and value the mission of HCWH, and work closely on a regional and international basis to build various programs developed by HCWH. S/he will lead Health Care Without Harm Asia in executing strategies to: expand membership, develop a fundraising program and revenue streams, build program scope and effectiveness, increase regional sphere of influence and recognition for Health Care Without Harm within the health care community in Asia, all in the context of interfacing with a fast-growing and dynamic global organization.
The Director will be responsible for strategic planning, membership growth and development, partnership-building and financial management along with management of an exceptionally committed staff. This position requires drive and passion for impacting the health care sector in the Asia Region, as well as significant capacity for management with the ability to direct the day-to-day operations. The Director will sit on HCWH’s International Council.
- Represent and act as spokesperson for the organization to national, regional and international health sector, civil society/NGO, government agencies, social movements, funders and companies.
- Represent HCWH Asia on HCWH’s International Council.
- Participate with the HCWH’s global team and International Council in strategic planning to guide the organization around the world and in the region.
- Foster effective team work between the Director and staff, and between Asia staff, regional partners and international staff.
- Strengthen and further operationalize the HCWH Asia board. Set meetings with the board and prepare the agenda for the meeting. Engage the board in HCWH’s work.
Operational planning and management
- Develop, together with staff, an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the organization.
- Ensure that the operation of the organization meets international priorities, as well as the expectations of members, the Board and funders.
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the organization.
- Draft policies for the approval of the Board and prepare procedures to implement organizational policies; review existing policies on an annual basis and recommend changes to the Board as appropriate.
Program planning and management
- Working collaboratively with staff, oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of HCWH Asia’s programs.
- Ensure HCWH Asia’s program contributes to the organization's mission, while reflecting and advancing international priorities.
- Oversee the planning, implementation, execution and evaluation of special projects.
- Determine staffing requirements for organizational management and program delivery.
- Oversee the implementation of the human resources policies, procedures and practices including the development of job descriptions for all staff.
- Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations.
- Ensure that all new staff receives an orientation to the organization and that appropriate training is provided.
- Implement a performance management process for all staff which includes monitoring the performance of staff on an on-going basis and conducting an annual performance review.
- Coach and mentor staff as appropriate to improve performance; providing constructive criticism and disciplinary actions when necessary using appropriate techniques.
Financial planning and compliance management
- Work with staff and the International Coordinator to prepare a comprehensive budget.
- Research funding sources, oversee the development of a fundraising strategy and plans to increase the funds of the organization.
- Participate in fundraising activities as appropriate.
- Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed.
- Administer the funds of the organization according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the organization.
- Ensure that the organization complies with all legislation covering taxation and withholding payments.
- Ensure that personnel, member, donor and volunteer files are securely stored and privacy/confidentiality is maintained.
- Communicate with stakeholders (partners, members, colleagues, network, etc) to keep them informed of the work of the organization.
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with HCWH’s multiple constituencies to help achieve the goals of the organization.
- 8-10 years of progressively responsible experience in a leadership role in the health and/or non-profit sector;
- Significant expertise in or familiarity with health care operations and/or environmental sustainability; an understanding of social movement frameworks and/or clinical background a strong plus.
- Experience working regionally with multiple cultures and organizational settings in Asia.
- Ability to work in a virtual environment with colleagues from around the world.
- Knowledge and oversight experience of strategic planning, organizational development, financial oversight, and performance management processes. Ability to craft new programs in a collaborative fashion and implement them is vital.
- Strong experience with financial management, with sensitivity to non-profit budgets.
- Experience leading and inspiring a growing and highly effective team, and an ability to foster a culture of collaboration. Must be willing and capable to mentor and develop staff, working alongside them to develop goals and objectives individually and as a team.
- Excellent relationship-building skills that leads to sustainable and mutually beneficial external partnerships.
- Flexible, adaptable and goal-oriented with a commitment to high standards of excellence.
- Demonstrated success developing programs with the ability to think strategically while executing tactically.
- Dynamic presenter with exceptional verbal and written communication skills. Superb communication skills to interact well with a variety of internal and external audiences.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Commitment to the vision, mission and goals of Health Care Without Harm.
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally on a regular basis.
Please email together with your resume, a brief sample of written and published articles, reports, and a thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience will benefit the campaign to Joyce Lanuza, Acting Director (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line “HCWH-ASIA Director”. Open until filled. Screening and interviews will begin immediately. No calls, please.
About Health Care Without Harm
Health Care Without Harm works to transform the health care sector worldwide, without compromising patient safety or care, so that it becomes ecologically sustainable and a leading advocate for environmental health and justice.
Health Care Without Harm-Asia, which is based in Manila, the Philippines currently focuses its work primarily in the South East Asia region. It is part of the global HCWH network— which also has regional offices in the United States, Europe and Latin America, as well as strategic partners in South Asia, China, Australia and Africa.
HCWH works with thousands of hospitals, health systems, health professionals, NGOs, governments and international organizations on every continent to promote the development and implementation of safe and environmentally healthy practices, processes and products in the health care sector, while advocating for policies and economies that protect public health from environmental harm.
HCWH’s areas of work include embedding a sustainability framework in the health care sector via our Global Green and Healthy Hospitals Network (www.greenhospitals.net) and working with the health sector to protect public health from climate change.
Health Care Without Harm is an Equal Opportunity Employer.